Acne is embarrassing when and wherever it appears, but it is especially distressing for teenagers and young adults. And when men have acne on the jawline it can be a real letdown as they have to deal with problems while trying to shave. However, once you find out the reason behind your jawline acne, you’ll be a step closer to getting rid of it!
The Different Causes of Acne On The Jawline:
1. Hormonal Changes: A lot of women experience acne on their jawline if they suffer from hormonal imbalance. It could be because of consuming a lot of dairy products which contain hormones. It is better to avoid dairy products for a while and see if the acne subsides. Sometimes acne on the jawline indicates Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), so be sure to visit a doctor.
2. Braces and Spacers: If you have braces and spacers placed between the teeth, it is quite natural to have acne on the jawline, and on your cheeks too! Braces and spacers between the teeth tend to tighten your skin around the jawline; there’s no room for your pores to breathe and you get acne breakouts.
3. Straps Trap: Acne mechanica is a type of acne that appears along the jawline of people who march in the band wearing hats/helmets, or play football for several hours every week. Straps of hats and helmets trap perspiration on the skin, the bacteria multiplies, causes irritation and finally – acne.
4. Aggravating Habits: Resting your chin in your hand transfers germs and dirt from your hands to your face. Frequently touching your face does the same thing. Long hair that keeps falling on your face can also aggravate the problem, no matter how clean your hair is. And how can we forget the hidden culprit – Stress!
5. Cosmetics: Makeup is a very common cause of acne on the jawline. Try using oil-free, hypoallergenic makeup made for sensitive skin.
6. Smoking: A recent study in Italy revealed that about 80% of adults who had jawline acne were frequent smokers. This is possible because smoking increases the production of blackheads and whiteheads.
7. Diet: If you consume too much of caffeine, sugars or soda, this can often cause breakouts of acne along the jaw.
Now that you know the different causes of acne on the jawline you can avoid these situations and see for yourself if it helps your acne. Once you know the cause, it becomes easy to eliminate the acne from the root and NEVER get it back again! Isn’t that good news? In the mean while, you can try the following remedies to get rid of your acne along the jawline:
1. Wash your face twice a day with a soap-free face wash.
2. Always apply topical acne treatment after washing your face, if possible, apply it before going to bed.
3. A popular herbal cure is using ‘tea tree’ oil on the acne affected skin. Apply three-four times a day using a cotton swab.
4. Avoid having late night meals or snacks.
5. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables so that you get vitamins for your skin in the natural form. You can also ask your doctor to prescribe a multi-vitamin.
6. Drink 8-10 glasses of water every day.
Follow the above mentioned suggestions for your jawline acne and your skin will be clearer, smoother and healthier in no time. If the problem persists, you may want to consult a dermatologist.